Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Many ask the question: Am I better off with a pre-built rig, or with a DIY (do-it-myself, in this case) rig? My personal preference is definitely to build my own. However, I want an upper-midrange computer. Companies like Dell can produce low-end computers for less money, because of wholesaling and buying in bulk. However, upper-midrange and above systems from Dell-like companies command a premium. They figure that since the consumer is willing to pay more for a better computer, then they might as well boost the price. This is where they make their major MARGINAL REVENUE; they get much more money per high-end unit sold than per low-end unit sold. Thus, if one's grandmother needs an internet/e-mail PC, a Dell is the way to go. If you want a nice, highly customized system without the premium, then DIY is the way to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home